Friday, June 25, 2010

do it all again



I spent the majority of the day on Wednesday on what was quite possibly the most epic girl-date in history.

My wonderful friend Anna is kicking off her Reckless Trust Discovery Tour today, moving herself from Austin back to the Great Midwest. Though we haven't hung out regularly in the last few months, we have been trying to make up for lost time over the past two weeks, eating Cowboy Queso at Kerbey Lane, chips and green-salsa-mixed-with-ranch-dressing at Trudy's, and then our impromptu best-ever girl-date this afternoon. It breaks my heart to know that she's leaving, especially when we're just now catching up with each other, but I admire her courage to trust that the Midwest is where she is supposed to be. She will be missed, but with her affinity for travel, I know she'll be back to play soon.

After an incredibly informative mandatory work obligation (see? the sarcasm I did there?), Anna and I sauntered over to Alamo Drafthouse for the 11am showing of Toy Story 3D. I had had nightmares of walking into a theater teeming with screaming, drooling, kicking-the-back-of-my-seat-while-talking-in-outside-voices-during-the-quiet-parts children, but Anna and I made up two of seven people in the theater. Popcorn. Diet Coke. Blissful silence during the movie, with the exception of our tendency to crack each other up.

Movie? Highly recommended, but then again, I'm a sucker for Disney/Pixar.

Though neither one of us was very hungry, I felt the need to soak up every last ounce of Anna before she leaves Austin for the Great Midwest on the Reckless Trust Discover Tour, so we headed to Homeslice Pizza for a little goodbye lunch. We parked ourselves under the backyard awning and relished in the Texas heat as we consumed more salad, pizza, and Fireman's #4 than two girls should be able to eat on a Wednesday afternoon.





And to put the cherry on the top of the epitome of girl-dateness, we ate gourmet popsicles at the Goodpop stand on Barton Springs. Thank you, Abby from Ohio in your Cheerios T-shirt for selling your product so well. A Hibiscus Mint popsicle melting down your arm on a hot summer day is the perfect end to a perfect afternoon. We may or may not have gone back and bought a half-dozen apiece to share with friends. Also, the free Tamarind Chile popsicle I ate on the drive home? Deliciously strange and equally wonderful.





Anna, the Great State of Texas will miss you, my love, but the time has come for you to participate in your next great adventure! I will always be here to see matinees, bake bread, or go on a fabulous girl-date, whenever it strikes your fancy to grace Austin with your presence again!

2 comments:

Anna said...

oh my word. agreed. during my funemployment, I am planning to revive the lacklustre blog. MISS YOU ALREADY!

Travis & Meagan Hogg said...

Katie, just saw that you started blogging. I love blogs! :) I am adding you to my blog roll, so you'll have to check mine out from time to time. If anything, you'll get cute pics of the little babe Hudson :)

Take Care!

-Meagan Hogg